Return to work programs is popular trend in the workers’ compensation sector. Companies are recognizing the value of getting injured employees back to work as soon as possible. As an agent or broker, you can capitalize on this trend by helping your business clients implement the program. The key to your success is sharing the program benefits with your customers.
It’s estimated that nearly 80 million workdays are lost due to illness and injury annually. This results in slower production and increased financial costs. Return to work programs help employees offset these issues by:
- Reducing indirect costs associated with the loss of productivity.
- Cutting direct costs such as hiring and/or training new workers and paying overtime.
- Improving injury claim management.
Illness, injury and reduced salary take a financial and emotional toll on workers. A return to work program contributes to a speedy recovery, which allows employees to regain their full salary sooner. It also helps them feel better about themselves. The additional rewards include:
- Improving morale because workers recognize their value to the company.
- Reducing the number of return doctor visits.
- Using fewer sick leave days.
Return to work programs is a cost-saving measure benefiting employers and employees. Although the programs are easy to implement, consider working with a wholesale workers compensation provider to ensure your clients’ set up the program with specific, clear guidelines.